Larry Masinter masinter at parc.xerox.com
Mon Aug 18 14:18:03 EDT 1997

>     It was the opinion of Larry Masinter (chair of HTTP WG), Keith
>     Moore, and most of the IETF audience that alignment with the
>     Printer MIB was a mistake, and that we should focus on sticking
>     with MIME-type specifications.

To be more precise:

When IPP is being used for transporting a message (document, print
instructions) from a willing sender to a willing recipient, alignment
with other widely implemented and deployed Internet protocols for
message transmission (mail, fax, Web) is more useful than alignment with
some hypothetical and not widely deployed protocol for system management
and monitoring of the status of a device.