IPP> MIME-types and alignment

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Aug 19 05:21:18 EDT 1997

Don,

during the Application Area Chairs'' meeting in Munich last Wednesday, I
asked Keith to amplify on his request to use MIME types rather than enums.
This resulted in Keith stating that we should see this as a directive from
him in his role as our project advisor.

My interpretation is that it does not seem likely that we will be able to
avoid the MIME-types.

Carl-Uno

At 12:14 PM 8/18/97 PDT, don at lexmark.com wrote:
>I content that when the latest and in some cases the previous
>versions of printers from Lexmark, HP, IBM, Kyocera, Tektronix,
>and Xerox support the printer MIB including the enum list of
>printer interpreters then it is not simply "hypothetical" nor is
>it "...not widely deployed..."
>
>I suggest you might not want to base your conclusions on this
>obviously wrong set of facts.
>
>Don

>* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
>* Manager, Strategic Alliances and Standards *
>* Lexmark International                      *
>* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
>* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
>* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *
>

> (Embedded
> image moved   masinter%parc.xerox.com at interlock.lexmark.com
> to file:      08/18/97 02:18 PM
> PIC31334.PCX)
>

>To:   rturner%sharplabs.com at interlock.lexmark.com
>cc:   ipp%pwg.org at interlock.lexmark.com (bcc: Don Wright)
>Subject:  IPP> MIME-types and alignment
>

>>     It was the opinion of Larry Masinter (chair of HTTP WG), Keith
>>     Moore, and most of the IETF audience that alignment with the
>>     Printer MIB was a mistake, and that we should focus on sticking
>>     with MIME-type specifications.
>To be more precise:
>When IPP is being used for transporting a message (document, print
>instructions) from a willing sender to a willing recipient, alignment
>with other widely implemented and deployed Internet protocols for
>message transmission (mail, fax, Web) is more useful than alignment with
>some hypothetical and not widely deployed protocol for system management
>and monitoring of the status of a device.
>

>Attachment Converted:
"C:\WINNT\profiles\cmanros\personal\Attach\PIC31334.PCX"

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com