Bill Wagner bwagner at digprod.com
Tue Aug 19 18:18:23 EDT 1997

     Subject: Re: IPP> MIME-types and alignment
     Author:  AlBrahme <albrahme at byas.com> at Internet
     Date:    8/18/97 6:58 PM

     >>It should be noted that previous investigations intended to bring
     >>the  MIME registry up to the point of being able to sufficiently
     >>identify   printer languages have been given up as too major an
     >>effort with too  little benefit.

     >Well, what about the reverse? How will printer MIB be updated to
     >include MIME  types?

     Al:

     It is my undersanding that the printer MIB  prtInterpreterLangFamily
     enumerations of printer page description languages are type 2
     enumerations, and that the registry is maintained by IANA. By my
     recall, a request may be submitted to the PWG identifying the name of
     the language, a brief description, an identification of the owner and
     a reference to the definitive document describing it. It would also be
     desirable to provide  information to be included in the
     prtInterpreterLangLevel and prtInterpreterLangVersion fields.

     I did not follow the specific thread that evidentally caused your
     problem with TiffF, but it should be noted that langTIFF(40) has long
     been included in the Printer MIB. If TiffF represents a new family, it
     should be accepted as such. If it repersents a new level and/or
     version, then there would appear no need to get a new enumeration.

     The method of identifying languages, although less than perfect,
     appeared to best address the constraints of the printer companies who
     owned and used these languages. This process was not developed
     arbitrarily and there have been several attempts in the past to make
     the registry more uniform and usable. There have also been volunteers
     who were going to re-register all of the combinations in MIME... but
     for some reason they have not been heard from for some time.

     I suspect that the PWG has no objection to using or including MIME
     encoding, but in past it has found such coding inappropriate. I would
     also observe that, because of the tight cost constraints on printers,
     there has been an attempt to minimize long text string objects. And
     with regard to the suggestion that less popular languages need not be
     included, that does not seem to be in the spirit of providing
     compatability with the existing equipment base.

     Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI

Author:  AlBrahme <albrahme at byas.com> at Internet
Date:    8/18/97 6:58 PM