Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Mon Sep 8 18:12:33 EDT 1997

Robert Herriot wrote:

> I think that you are missing a piece in the transition story.
> Customers will install print servers that run IPP servers, but
> printers
> acessible via these servers must also be accessible via LPD protocol
> for those client still running older systems.  Thus these new IPP
> servers
> will also have to support LPD as well, either directly or via an
> LPD-to-IPP gateway.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the installation of a
new print server box, since existing print server boxes would be
running LPD already for the existing LPR clients. In the case of a
new print server being installed that will host IPP services, if
the administrator also wants LPD support, why can't he/she enable
LPD as well and run LPD<->LPD? Maybe we should be exchanging
graphical pictures ...

Randy