Randy Turner rturner at sharplabs.com
Mon Sep 15 22:24:26 EDT 1997

I will try and emphasize my position on LPD gateways by saying that I don't
consider
the LPD-to-IPP gateway case to be a common case for gateways. As I have stated
previously, it gives no value to LPR/LPD clients to gateway to IPP because they
are still funneling(filtering) their requests through the same front end interface.
The
kind of technology we are delivering for IPP version 1.0 is oriented towards the
user, so outfitting end users (clients) with IPP as soon as possible should (IMHO)
be the goal for deployment of IPP.

Also, administrators should not be deinstalling their current base of LPR/LPD
services. IPP
will supplement, not replace, LPD during a transition phase.

I do see a need for IPP-to-LPD gateways because IPP servers (operating as spoolers
on
WinNT or Unix systems), might want to connect directly to network printers using
TCP/IP,
and the most commonly deployed embedded TCP/IP printing solution within printers is

LPD.  We would like to include the existing installed base of network printers in
IPP
configurations, but we don't want to have to upgrade their firmware to do this.
Therefore,
allowing IPP servers to transfer print jobs into the LPD environment is something I
think
needs to happen. Dropping data and control files into LPD spool directories from an
IPP
server is pretty easy on Unix systems. I'm not positive about Windows/NT based LPD
services but I would imagiine that this is also fairly straightforward.

Also, concerning Roger's comment about delaying Job-URIs into Version 2.0,  I think

the URI is one of the only really new features of network printing we are offering
and
I would really like to see it available in version 1.0; among other things, its the
job URI
that will allow easy deployment and integration of IPP over other transports other
than
HTTP, which is something I think we all are thinking about for the future.

Also, converning Patrick Powell's comments about the movement of jobs using URIs,
this feature is only one of the features that job URI provides so we shouldn't
focus
on this one aspect of functionality (even though we get it for free with the
adoption of
the URI concept, and its not hard to envision its use regarding the movement of
jobs).

Randy