IPP> Document attributes

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Mon Sep 29 16:27:13 EDT 1997

Jay,

You were just lucky to have a smart printer in the examples you cite below.

In both the System V and the BSD Unix examples you cite below, all of the
document data passed through the system as plain text data until it reached
the printer which auto-sensed its type: PostScript, PCL or text and then
printed it correctly.

If your printer didn't accept text, for example, the System V spooler would have
run the text-to-PostScript filter on all three files, giving you a print out of
the PostScript and PCL files in their raw form.

Bob Herriot