Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Thu Oct 9 15:13:44 EDT 1997

> I know that several of you are quite far along the track already, and may
> not want to rethink the usage you make of MIME types, but I think it's worth
> spending at least 3 minutes thinking about where you put the "command verb".

Let's see...how many possible ways of dispatching email things do we have:

1. content-type
2. parameters of content-types
3. content-disposition keyword (as proposed here)
4. the portion of the filename after the '.'
5. using different email addresses for different purposes
6. using different subaddresses of a single email address
7. using a directory entry to indicate which email address is used
   for which purpose
8. SRV records  (just for completeness...please, let's not go there)

Any more?  This seems like plenty...

It would be nice to have some shared idea of which of these should
never be used, and when to use those that remain.

Given that we have so many ways to dispatch things already, I'm
inclined to think that this new proposal is of marginal value.

Keith