IPP> Re: Comments on Requirements document

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Thu Oct 9 15:33:21 EDT 1997

Roger,

Thanks for actually taking the time to go over the Requirements document in
the light of later events. I think that the proposals you have made for
improvements are all contructive and useful.

We need to find out from Don if he has any chance to actually work them
into the document before our next I-D delivery deadline, which is next
Wednesday October 15.

Comments from anybody else on this?

Carl-Uno

At 09:27 AM 10/9/97 PDT, Roger K Debry wrote:
>I apologize for not being able to participate much recently in the conference
>calls. I've just been terriibly busy with my day job and have been
traveling a
>lot. I did sit down and review the requirements document while on the plane
>this week. Here are my comments:
>
>o I think it would be good to have something in the introductory text
>explaining our rationale for determining what were version 1.0 IPP
>req'ts. In particular, I think some words of the tone that our goal was
>to hit the 80% mark quickly and that rapid deployment was a
>major objective, would be important things to say. Otherwise it is
>hard to understand why some things aren't considered valid req'ts
>for version 1.0.
>
>o In the terminology section, the discussion is cast in terms of an
>overall internet printing solution. I think this is fine, and as it should
>be. However, a sentence or two simply explicitly saying that IPP is
>but one key component of an internet printing solution would seem
>important. Then going on to say how things like locating printers and
>creating printer instances is enabled by IPP seems to work better.
>
>o The latter part of the first paragraph in section I and the second
>paragraph seem to be too Browser-centric. I think these could be
>deleted altogether, or based on the previous comment simply say
>that HTTP, and Web Browsers are **other** components of a
>complete internet printing solution. As it stands, one could easily
>come away believing that IPP running on a browser is a major
>requirement of IPP.
>
>o I think the third paragraph of section I is slightly misleading.
>While it says that "No assumption is made about multi-tiered
>printing solutions", it does not make clear that such solutions
>are in fact supported by the protocol. I think as written, it might
>leave the reader believing server congurations are not
>supported. Just a few word changes would fix this.
>
>o Section 2 introduces the three user roles, end-user, operator,
>and adminsitrator. Although we say it elsewhere, I think it important
>to say right here that only end-user functions are considered as
>version 1.0 requirements.
>
>o In the second paragraph of section 1.2, I'd spell out the six
>categories more carefully. For example, finding/locating should
>be finding/locating a printer, local instance should be creating
>a local isntance of a printer, etc.
>
>o Add the phrase "by their IPP attributes" to the last sentence
>of section 2.1.1.
>
>o In the last set of bullets in section 2.1.3, I'd suggest taking out the
>sentence that begins "When checking the status on jobs ...". Also
>take out the last bullet, how are job priorities assigned. I don't think
>there is anything in IPP that describes **HOW** priorities are
>assigned.  I think this would read better with these changes and
>better reflect actual usage.

> [...]
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com