Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Oct 21 18:59:12 EDT 1997

Don,

How about if we just clarify the conformance section that talks about
implementation of the attribute syntaxes.  Then we won't be adding any
more SHALLs, but we will be clarifying that the ranges of each syntax
is required?  Then it will be clear that 'text' attributes are 4095 octets
and 'name' are 255 octets.  (So far there are no 'text' attributes that
a client can supply and only 3 'name' attributes: "document-name",
"job-name", and "job-originating-user".)   For those attributes that
can only be returned, if an implementation has a lower limit, who is to
know?

The current text is:

5.2.5	Attribute Syntaxes
A Printer SHALL be able to accept any of the attribute syntaxes defined in
Section 4.1 in any operation in which a client may supply attributes.
Furthermore, a Printer SHALL return attributes to the client in operation

I propose that we clarify it as:

5.2.5	Attribute Syntaxes
A Printer SHALL be able to accept any of the attribute syntaxes defined in
Section 4.1, including their full range, in any operation in which a client
may supply attributes.  Furthermore, a Printer SHALL return attributes to
the client in operation responses that conform to the syntax specified in
Section 4.1, including their full range if supplied previously by a client.

Tom