Jay Martin jkm at underscore.com
Sat Nov 15 16:27:08 EST 1997

Tom,

Please ignore these kinds of messages.  (That is, please don't
send us messages asking us to look into them.)

Jeff Schnitzer (master web/list/ftp keeper) deals with these kinds
of messages all the time, on a daily basis.  It takes a considerable
amount of work to stay on top of maintaining an Internet presence
such as what we have with the PWG facilities.  Tracking down
repetitive failure messages is one of the most frequent jobs Jeff
must deal with.  (Interestingly, the most number of delivery
failures comes from the Xerox world...)

Normally you don't see too many of these kinds of messages, since
Jeff usually catches them right away and does something about it.

However, in the case of these failed messages from world.com, it
turns out there's NOTHING we can do...since the world.com mail
system--unlike every other mail system in the world--does not
provide any failure information for us to analyze, eg, who the
message was actually addressed to, the nature of the failure, etc.

Instead, their stupid mail system merely sends you a copy of the
original message...which is not very helpful at all.

This is particularly annoying, since these kinds of delivery
failures are frequent within the known universe, but world.com
doesn't seem to understand the "typical" handling of such
failures.

Again, please ignore (and delete) such failure messages from
world.com and just move on.  Thanks in advance for your cooperation.

	...jay

--  JK Martin               |  Email:   jkm at underscore.com          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --