IPPDEV> Re: IPP> Re: IPP developers mailing list established

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Tue Nov 18 15:19:58 EST 1997

> I'm not sure what you mean about "serious problems" in your above
> statement.  Many, many folks monitor the IPP list for a number of
> different reasons, not all having to do with the technology itself.

There's no problem with people monitoring a WG list.
There is a problem if the WG list is deliberately dumbed down
to faciliate such monitoring.  The purpose of the WG list is to do
technical work, and such work is best accomplished when a high
percentage of those doing the work are implementors.

> As the official list-keepers for the PWG, we here at Underscore
> monitor all changes to all PWG-oriented mailing lists.  All too
> many times we see folks unsubscribe from the IPP when a sudden
> rash of messages are posted that deal with some very fine technical
> point.

That's a good sign!  The list should be open to anyone, of course,
but most people who aren't interested in doing the work will eventually
get bored and unsubscribe.

Keith