Larry Masinter masinter at parc.xerox.com
Mon Dec 1 22:25:29 EST 1997

> "IPP will kill fax by offering
> high-quality printing, low telephone charges and multiple copies.

I've been working on 'Requirements for Internet Fax'
(draft-ietf-fax-requirements-XX.txt in the Internet Drafts
directory, and a newer version at
 ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/masinter/draft-ietf-fax-requirements-04bis.txt).

The requirements do not designate the protocol used -- it *could*
be IPP. However, it isn't clear how all of the requirements for Internet
Fax can be met by IPP. I'd like to understand better how IPP can be used
for the fax application, if it's really a serious option.

Larry

--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter