Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Sun Dec 7 22:42:46 EST 1997

Ira,

Thanks for taking care of your homework assignment so rapidly and reliably.
Just so we do not confuse people, it should be noted that your text
anticipates a new set of I-Ds, which are still in progress by the editors.

Carl-Uno

At 03:46 PM 12/7/97 PST, you wrote:
> [...]
>    (positive 32-bit integer), supplied by the operation requestor for
>    later operation response correlations (and possibly notification
>    correlations in a future version of IPP).
>
>Therefore, use of 'application/ipp' as a MIME type in email is now
>straightforward.
>
>Cheers,
>- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
>  High North Inc
>  716-425-6141 (office at Xerox until April 1998)
>  716-442-0609 (home in Rochester, NY until April 1998)

>    To: ietf-types at iana.org
>    Subject: Registration of MIME media type "application/ipp"
>
>    MIME type name: application
>
>    MIME subtype name: ipp
>
>      A Content-Type of "application/ipp" indicates an Internet Printing
>      Protocol message body (request or response).  Currently there is
>      one version:  IPP/1.0, described in [IPP-MOD] and [IPP-PRO].
>
>    Required parameters: none
>
>    Optional parameters: none
>
>    Encoding considerations:
>
>      IPP/1.0 protocol requests/responses MAY contain long lines and
>      ALWAYS contain binary data (for example attribute value lengths).
>
>    Security considerations:
>
>      IPP/1.0 protocol requests/responses do not introduce any security
>      risks not already inherent in the underlying transport protocols.
>|     Protocol mixed-version interworking rules in [IPP-MOD] as well as
>|     protocol encoding rules in [IPP-PRO] are complete and unambiguous.
>
>    Interoperability considerations:
>
>      IPP/1.0 requests (generated by clients) and responses (generated
>      by servers) MUST comply with all conformance requirements imposed
>|     by the normative specifications [IPP-MOD] and [IPP-PRO].  Protocol
>|     encoding rules specified in [IPP-PRO] are comprehensive, so that
>|     interoperability between conforming implementations is guaranteed
>      (although support for specific optional features is not ensured).
>      Both the "charset" and "natural-language" of all IPP/1.0 attribute
>      values of syntax "text" or "name" are explicit within IPP protocol
>      requests/responses (without recourse to any external information
>|     in HTTP, SMTP, or other message transport headers).
>
>    Published specification:
>
>      [IPP-MOD] R. deBry, T. Hastings, R. Herriot, S. Isaacson,
>      P. Powell, "Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Model and Semantics",
>|     work in progress <draft-ietf-ipp-model-08.txt>, December 1997.
>
>      [IPP-PRO] S. Butler, R. Herriot, P. Moore, R. Turner,
>      "Internet Printing Protocol/1.0: Protocol Specification",
>|     work in progress <draft-ietf-ipp-protocol-04.txt>, December 1997.
>
>    Applications which use this media type:
>
>      Internet Printing Protocol (IPP) print clients and print servers,
>|     communicating using HTTP/1.1 (see [IPP-PRO]), SMTP/ESMTP, FTP, or
>|     other transport protocol.  Messages of type "application/ipp" are
>|     self-contained and transport-independent, including "charset" and
>|     "natural-language" context for any "text" or "name" attributes.
>
>    Person & email address to contact for further information:

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com