Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Dec 19 12:40:23 EST 1997

I am not proposing any change to IPP from the current definition
of impression which the Model document has as:

12.2.5 impression

An "impression" is the image (possibly many print-stream pages in different
configurations) imposed onto a single media page.

I am only proposing to add a warning note to the Job Monitoring MIB,
since we have agreed that impressions include passes past the marker
that don't make marks, on even the last sheet.

I propose to add the following note to the definition of the
term impressions (to which all attributes and objects contain a reference)
that we have in the PWG Job Monitoring MIB:

NOTE - Since impressions include blank sides, it is suggested that
accounting application implementers consider charging for sheets, rather
than impressions, possibly factoring in value of the sides attribute for
possibly different charges for one versus two-sided printing, since some
users may think that impressions don't include blank sides.

Here is the definition that we agreed to in principle at the L.A. meeting
and for which there still seems to be support from most respondents:

Impression:  For a print job, an impression is the passage of the entire
side of a sheet by the marker, whether or not any marks are made and
independent of the number of passes that the side makes past the marker.
Thus a four pass color process counts as a single impression.  One-sided
processing involves one impression per sheet.  Two-sided processing
involves two impressions per sheet.  If a two-sided document has an odd
number of pages, the last sheet still counts as two impressions, if that
sheet makes two passes through the marker or the marker marks on both sides
of a sheet in a single pass.  Two-up printing is the placement of two
logical pages on one side of a sheet and so is still a single impression.
See "page" and "sheet".

If you have any objections to the note, please voice them today,
since we are forwarding the Job Mon MIB as an Internet-Draft today.

Thanks,
Tom