Turner, Randy rturner at sharplabs.com
Tue Dec 30 20:06:08 EST 1997

This is part of an interesting thread going on regarding
the pros and cons of binary vs. ascii encodings of
application layer protocols...The central theme being
the use of ABNF for specifying text-based application
protocols vs. ASN.1 for specifying binary application
protocols. Apparently, we (the IPP WG) are breaking
new ground in our use of ABNF for essentially a
binary protocol. It doesn't appear that the essence of
ABNF was designed for this...

Randy