Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Thu Jul 2 14:43:05 EDT 1998

> Not so. Every IPP packet is a fully conformant HTTP packet. We are not
> inventing a new protocol in the scheme sense.

That's not the way IESG sees it.  IPP is chartered to develop a protocol.

If you are having problems that no other working group is having,
because you're layering over http, maybe you're taking the wrong approach.

> Point any lan sniffer at an
> IPP exchange and ask it what the protocol is - it will say its HTTP.

This could be considered a bug with IPP.

> The argument you are using would say that SMTP is not TCP/IP.
> IPP is layered on top of HTTP - same way that form-based upload is.

HTTP is an application by itself.  TCP/IP is not.
IPP is trying to layer one application on top of another.

Keith