IPP> Implementation question re.: chunking

Carl Kugler kugler at us.ibm.com
Fri Jul 24 15:02:39 EDT 1998

Okay, as a practical matter it looks like we need to be able to support HTTP/1.0 in addition to HTTP/1.1, and "Content-Length" in addition to "Transfer-Encoding: chunked" whether sending or receiving.

This leads me to my next question: What is the transition sequence for the cases in which an HTTP/1.1 client that normally uses chunking wants to make a request of a server that is HTTP/1.0 and/or doesn't understand chunking?

Does this scenario look correct?:

1. Client requests HTTP/1.1, Transfer-Encoding: chunked
2. Server responds HTTP/1.0 501 (Unimplemented), and closes the connection
3. Client opens new connection and requests HTTP/1.0, Content-Length

Also, don't some HTTP/1.0 implementations understand Transfer-Encoding as an extension?  We have some client situations where we can't avoid chunking, so it would be nice if even the HTTP/1.0 servers understood chunked transfer coding.  (Presumably all HTTP/1.1 applications are able to receive and decode the “chunked” transfer coding.)

    -Carl

-----
Original Message: http://www.findmail.com/list/ipp/?start=4179
Start a FREE email list at http://www.FindMail.com/