IPP> PRO> Requirements on use of HTTP/1.1 in IPP

Randy Turner jrturner at pacifier.com
Tue Sep 29 22:38:17 EDT 1998

I brought up this point last year during initial prototyping of our
completed first draft of the protocol document. I mentioned that my
C-language prototype actually posted a signal handler that fired when,
during transmission of a POST, I got any data coming back over the
connection.

The signal handler would read the response and handle it. The main thread
would then re-check the state of the transmission, and if the received
message did NOT indicate an error, would continue with the POST operation.

This was fairly simple to implement (at least under Unix...) and would
react quickly in the event of any server failure indication.

Randy

At 10:03 AM 9/29/98 -0700, Brian R Glass wrote:
>Carl Kugler wrote:
>>PRO>  "A client MUST NOT expect a response from an IPP server until after
the
>>client has sent the entire response.  But a client MAY listen for an error
>>response that an IPP server MAY send before it receives all the data.  In
this
>>case a client, if chunking the data, can send a premature zero-length
chunk to
>>end the request before sending all the data. If the request is blocked
for some
>>reason, a client MAY determine the reason by opening another connection to
>>query the server."
>>The ietf-http-v11-spec says that the client MAY expect a response from an
HTTP