IPP> NLO votes

Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Oct 28 21:08:34 EST 1998

Bob Herriot and I worked with Carl on simplifying his proposal so that it
made fewer changes to the June specification.  Carl agreed with them before
we sent them out. I should have indicated that the voting proposals were
from Bob, Carl, and I after a number of drafts and phone calls.

The reason to make separate votes, is that the issues are separable and some
may favor one, but not the other.  So if they are combined into one
proposal, then we lose the opportunity to make one of them, if there is
objection to the other.

Tom

Exactly.  NLO 4 of 4 proposes exactly that:  Drop textWithoutLanguage and
nameWithoutLanguage
and always use textWithLanguage and nameWIthLanguage in requests and
"attributes-natural-language" Operation attribute in requests and keeps it
in responses as well for compatibility (though its not used).

However, that is a definite change from the June drafts.  We should only
agree to such a change if we are all willing to make such a change.  The
compromise discussed on the telecon today may be a way forward: senders
SHOULD use textWithLanguage and nameWithLanguage, but continue (as in the
June draff) that receivers MUST accept either textWithLanguage or
textWithoutLanguage and nameWIthLanguage and nameWithoutLanguage.  Bob
Herriot will write up the compromise proposal.

Tom