IPP> Re: SLP Printer Service Template

Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Nov 6 05:09:52 EST 1998

So if SPACE is an ok delimiter within a value as in Erik's example, I would
suggest that we could combine the two ordered IPP printer attributes:

   printer-uri-supported (1setOf uri)
   uri-security-supported (1setOf type2 keyword)

by putting the URI first separated by a SPACE followed by the security
keyword, then a comma to separate each (unordered) valued.  (We need to
check to see whether URIs can include a SPACE or not.  If they can, then we
should just put the keyword first).

We are proposing some additional security keywords so that we don't need to
add a security parameter to the URI.  Here is the new (proposed) list for
the IPP Model document (which we will confirm at our IPP meeting 11/11/98):

'none':    There are no secure communication channel protocols in use for
the given URI.
'daa':     [DAA] authentication will be requested by the IPP Printer.
'tls':     TLS 1.0 [TLS] is the secure communications channel protocol in
use for the given URI.
'tls-daa': TLS 1.0 [TLS] is the secure communications channel protocol in
use for the given URI.
           In addition, [DAA] authentication will be requested by the IPP
printer.
'ssl3':    SSL3 is the secure communications channel protocol in use for the
given URI.
           (Note that SSL3 is proprietary, not a standard IETF protocol).
'ssl3-daa': SSL3 is the secure communications channel protocol in use for
the given URI.
           In addition, [DAA] authentication will be requested by the IPP
Printer.
           (Note that SSL3 is proprietary, not a standard IETF protocol).

So the SLP attribute that combines these two IPP Printer attributes could
be:

uri-and-security-supported = STRING M
    # IPP 'printer-uri-supported' and 'uri-security-supported'
    # The list of URI supported by this printer with each URI value followed
by
    # one of the security keywords separated by one SPACE character.
    # Example values: http://foo none, http://bar tls, http://baz tls-daa
    # IPP security keywords include:
    # none, daa, tls, tls-daa, ssl3, ssl3-daa

I suspect that it is better to keep the 'none' keyword, so that clients
could do searches for 'none' when looking for channels without security,
rather than saying that if there was no second field, there was no security.

BTW, we made ISO DPA attributes unordered, in order to follow the X.500
directory attribute semantics, but regretted the added complexity it caused
when we did have a very few attributes that required ordered values.  Oh
well.

Tom Hastings