Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Nov 9 11:54:11 EST 1998

I agree that the 'client-error-charset-not-supported' SHOULD take precedence
over 'client-error-operation-not-supported', just so that the client will
know that the charset coming back is in a different charset than the client
requested, so that the client should not attempt to display any 'text'
attributes returned, such as the "status-message".  We probably need some
statement to indicate that.

>Also, MAY an IPP object use its default charset when
>generating a client-error-bad-request response?

I would think it would depend on how bad the syntax was.  If the IPP object
was able to find the "attribute-natural-language" in the request and it is
supported, then the IPP object should return the response in the charset,
not it's charset-configured (which the client might not be able to
understand).

>    14.1.4.1 client-error-bad-request (0x0400)
>The request could not be understood by the IPP object due to
>malformed syntax (such as the value of a fixed length
>attribute whose length does not match the prescribed length
>for that attribute - see section 16.3).  The IPP application
>SHOULD NOT repeat the request without modifications.
>
>Or must it press on according to case 4 above, and try to
>extract a valid charset from the request even in the face of
>syntax errors?

My suggestion is that it should press on, if it can, in order to see what
charset is being passed and requested for the response.

How about adding the following statement to the
'client-error-charset-not-supported' status code:

This error SHOULD take precedence over any other error, so that the client
will know that the returned charset is not the one requested.  Therefore,
the IPP object SHOULD endeavor to determine the "attribute-charset"
operation attribute in the request.  Of course, if the syntax of the request
is so bad that the IPP object cannot find the "attributes-charset", then the
IPP object has no choice but to return the 'client-error-bad-syntax' status
code.