Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Dec 10 06:13:19 EST 1998

Manish Thakur wrote:
>        IPP does not have an attribute to indicate end of document
> chunk, if client end decides to chunk a large print data file (of the

HTTP provides the chunking support, so any compliant client (or server)
must handle the chunking, with a 0-length chunk indicating the end of
the data.

> order of 100 Mbs) before sending to server end. Is this understanding
> correct? If yes what could be the possible solution for handling
> phenominally large print data file.

The IPP/HTTP server can send an error message (request-too-large or
something similar) and ignore print data once it exceeds the server
limit.  By ignoring I mean that the server will continue to read the
data file sent by the client, but it won't store the data for later
use.  This means that the client won't know that the data file is too
large until is has been sent in its entirety, however HTTP doesn't
provide a method for stopping a request short of closing the client
connection.

Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike at easysw.com