Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 18 13:50:52 EST 1998

Craig,

>I believe the protocol could be the same between client and server and=
 client
and printer.  >IPP is a simple solution for Internet job submission but=
 it
doesn't address the >complexities of printer management that TIPSI or S=
NMP do.

IPP defines a PRINTER OBJECT and a JOB OBJECT.
IPP has the following operations
 - PrintJob (Request/Response)
   - (Submit single doc job with data. Unsupportted attributes returned=
.)
 - PrintURI ("Pull" printing)
 - ValidateJob
   - (Like PrintJob w/no data. Validate operations prior to submission.=
)
 - CreateJob
   - (Setup for multi document job)
 - SendDocument (Request/Response)
 - SendURI
 - GetJob (Request/Response)
   - When shopping for the shortest print queue
 - CancelJob (Request/Response)
   - Probably the best feature of all
 - GetPrinterAttributes (Request/Response)
   - Granted, a cumbersome intersection with the Printer MIB which (in =
my
     opinion) could possibly be strengthened or dilluted dependint on t=
he
     tug-of-war between "in-band" and "side-channel" camps.
 - GetJobAttributes
   - A way to check job progress. Again, overlapping the Job MIB but,
     fortunately, correlated and potentially reconcilable.

Notification is the next big feature to be tackled by IPP (analogous to=
 "Jobs"
in the Printer MIB, notification was counciously pared from the IPPv1 s=
cope in
order to make progress).

What complexitis of printer management are you referring to which are c=
urrently
missing from IPP? Is it conceivable that these may fall nicely into the=
 realm
of notification?

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems

ipp-owner at pwg.org on 02/18/98 07:16:30 AM