James Walker walker at dazel.com
Wed Feb 25 17:48:14 EST 1998

Tom Hastings wrote:

> Sounds like a good extension to IPP and another notification event.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> 1. We would need to add a "time-limit" attribute to IPP that the requester
> can supply.  Probably should be a delta in some units like minutes
> or hours.  Which?

Actually, with a 32-bit integer data type, I would think that seconds
is a mighty fine granularity.

> 2. Probably should be a job-template attribute so that there could
> be a "time-limit-default" that the administrator could configure,
> and the "time-limit-supported" would be a range.

Agreed.

> 3. I assume from your description that the job is not deleted when it
> exceeds the time-limit, correct?  So it is just part of ISO DPA's
> job-discard-time attribute.

Actually, it sounds more like job-deadline-time attribute.  If
you recall your ISO 10175,

  This attribute specifies the calendar date and time of day by which
  the user desires the print-job to be completed.  This attribute is
  treated as a scheduling hint only.  If the specified deadline time
  arrives before completion of the job, the server shall generate the
  error-past-deadline event for the job, but the current-job-state
  shall not be changed.  ...

For me, this brings up the whole issue of work that we thought long
and hard over in the DPA discussions, that we seem to be leaving
behind.  I will be the first to admit that a lot of complexity made
its way into the DPA.  However, there is also a lot of wisdom that
made it in, as well.  In this particular area, the whole idea of
job-deadline-time, job-discard-time, and job-retention-period are
flexible and useful ideas.

Anyone want to dredge up their copy of ISO 10175 and pull out their
favorite ideas that ought to be carried forward in this new printing
protocol?

...walker

--
Jim Walker <walker at dazel.com>