IPP> Printer state

Puru Bish purub at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 11 16:04:45 EST 1998

I was looking into the different printer states defined in Model
document (page: 99 - 100). The document says

"The following standard values are defined
 '3'    'idle'
 '4'    'processing'
 '5'    'stopped' .. "

I looked at the definition of 'stopped' state, and it says,
"If a Printer receives a job (whose required
 resources are ready) while in this state, such a job
 SHALL transit into the pending state immediately...."
There may be a situation when the actual output device is
powered off. In that case, should IPP server respond with
a state 'stopped'? If so, does that mean that IPP server
still accepts print-job request instead of sending an error like
"server-error-internal-error"?

IMHO, if an output device is powered off, all IPP print job requests
should fail with the above-mentioned server error. Also,
the printer should have another state
'6'   'no-device'
to represent this condition.

Any comments/suggestions?