Carl Kugler kugler at us.ibm.com
Fri May 29 16:28:06 EDT 1998

I question this new definition:
"13.1.2.1 successful-ok (0x0000)
"The request has succeeded.  In the case of a Print-Job operation, the
'successful-ok' status code indicates that the request was successfully=

received, validated, processed, and that the Job object has been create=
d; it
does not indicate that the job has been printed.  The transition of the=
 Job
object into the 'completed' state is the only indicator that the job ha=
s been
printed.
given the definition of 'processing' in section 3.1.7:
"Job submission time is the point in time when a client issues a create=

request.  The initial state of every Job object is the 'pending' or
'pending-held' state.  Later, the Printer object begins processing the =
print
job.  At this point in time, the Job object's state moves to 'processin=
g'.
This is known as job processing time.  There are validation checks that=
 must be
done at job submission time and others that must be performed at job pr=
ocessing
time.
I don't believe that successful-ok (0x0000) really indicates that the r=
equest
was successfully "processed".  Or at least there is the danger of confu=
sion
here between "request processing" and "job processing".  Perhaps "reque=
st
processing" needs a definition.
 -Carl
=