Josh Cohen joshco at microsoft.com
Mon Jun 1 15:52:07 EDT 1998

To restate, I disagree.
Standardizing a default destination port for IPP doesnt
affect routing through proxy servers.
The proxy listening port doesnt need to change.
Just like when doing 'normal' http, the proxy listening
port has nothing to do with the destination port in the URL.

If you have a URL:
http://mywebserver.domain.com:8000/index.html
or
http://myprinter:5150/queue1/

and a proxy setting of
http://myproxy:8080/

the proxy's listening port typically is 8080 or 80,
but does not matter.  The client http library knows
via some config setting which port and host to connect
to when speaking the 'http proxy mechanism'.

The only restraint is if your proxy is configured to
restrict URLS to only port 80.
eg proxied URLs of the type:
http://server/index.html
or
http://server:80/index.html

which due to the popularity of servers running
on ports other than 80 (perhaps for a user non-root server
on a unix machine), is difficult to maintain.