Carl Kugler kugler at us.ibm.com
Wed Jun 3 14:14:43 EDT 1998

JK Martin wrote:
> Carl Kugler wrote:
>
> > At one time, people were proposing some kind of dispatching or routing IPP
> > Object that would receive IPP requests and route them based on the embedded
> > "printer-uri".
>
> I was one of those people suggesting demultiplexing/dispatching,
> but only within an HTTP server environment.  As such, the server-
> side component (CGI script, servlet, etc) would use the HTTP
> header component to discriminate the real target.

If I understand what you're saying, this works fine today, with the existing model.  For example, in our implemenation, these two Request-URIs sent to Host carlk:

    /servlet/IPPServlet/vega-lp
    /servlet/IPPServlet/pp4019

both cause the web server on carlk to invoke servlet IPPServlet.  IPPServlet uses the path info from the Request-URI to determine if the target output device is "vega-lp" or "pp4019".

In http://www.findmail.com/list/ipp/mg771994797.html, Robert Herriot wrote:

> Randy suggests that the value of job-uri/printer-uri could differ from the request-uri on the HTTP Request-Line, but the model has no such concept. So unless there are strong arguments to the contrary, the protocol document will state that the request-uri has the same value as the printer-uri/job-uri in the operation.

Then Randy agreed, and the thread ended.