don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Tue Jun 16 20:40:21 EDT 1998

Bob Herriot said:

>Actually the default port never hits the wire either.  Both the default
port
>and the ipp scheme-name are smoke and mirrors on the client which give the
>illusion of an ipp scheme.
>
>On the wire there is nothing but http with default port 80.

Oh, Bob, I disagree.  The port does hit the wire one way or another.  While
the protocol encoding does not contain the port being used, what precedes
the exchange of data does use a specific port (374 in Randy's and Larry's
example)

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *