don at lexmark.com don at lexmark.com
Mon Jul 13 07:22:19 EDT 1998

Keith Moore said:

>> My argument stands, the right people to deal
>> with the user's perception are the people shipping the products and they
>> have reach consensus that "ipp:" is the wrong answer.
>
>The folks who are shipping printers aren't even close to representative
>of the people who are going to be using this stuff.

Too bad you don't know the people that have been working on this for more
than a year.  The group includes people not only from the printer
manufacturers you seem to think haven't the foggiest what their users want
but also _people_ with a great deal of experience in Operating Systems
(employees of Microsoft, Sun & IBM), Network Operating Systems (employees
of Microsoft, IBM & Novell) as well as printing software (employees of
Underscore & North Lake.)  Not only do these people have a great deal of
experience in this area but, despite the IETF's blinders, as
representatives of companies developing commercial products, _we_ and our
companies are going to have to support this when it hits the field.  Are
you making a multimillion dollar support committment to the "ipp:" concept?

In conjunction with those of us who not only manufacture printers but also
provide both Web and non-Web based configuration and management utilities,
I think this group has a great understanding of what real-world users want
and expect.  Oh, and by the way, _we_ all are also computer users generally
using the fairly up to date operating system, etc. on a day to day basis.

IPP is not a printer manufacturer "railroad."  It is a broad-based,
printing industry cooperative effort that has reach its conclusion based
upon years and years of experience.

* Don Wright                 don at lexmark.com *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances       *
* Lexmark International                      *
* 740 New Circle Rd                          *
* Lexington, Ky 40550                        *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax)    *