Larry Masinter masinter at parc.xerox.com
Tue Oct 13 20:53:40 EDT 1998

> Given that there are proxies out there that may not handle HTTP
> 1.1 well, we would like our IPP 1.0 client to try HTTP 1.0 first, and then
> switch to HTTP 1.1 if the first attempt fails.

MSIE doesn't operate this way, and it has far more demanding
interoperability requirements.  MSIE has a check box for "use
HTTP/1.1 through proxies" and the default setting for the check
box is "off" unstead of "on". But the interoperability requirements
for IPP are likely different than those for
general web browsing. And "chunked" encoding is much more important
for print driver applications if you're not
going to buffer the entire print file before starting to
send it to the printer -- using content-length just doesn't
seem feasible.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter