IPP> MOD -(vote clarification) NLO 4 of 4: Vote to always use the Natural Language Override mechanism

IPP> MOD -(vote clarification) NLO 4 of 4: Vote to always use the Natural Language Override mechanism

Robert Herriot robert.herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Wed Oct 28 21:02:20 EST 1998

Re: elimination of the data types textWithoutLanguage and
nameWithoutLanguage so that text and name values in IPP always include their
natural language.

In today's teleconference, we decided that we could not make a well informed
decision on this issue without test results from the IPP implementations. Xerox
hopes to have a test suite by next week that we can use to test this feature.

We can eliminate the feature from IPP 1.0 if

      a) test results show that no implementation fully supports the feature,
or if
      b) the implementors of those implementations that support the feature are

          willing to eliminate the feature.

I expect that condition a) fails because some implementations do support it.
But it may also be the case that some implementations don't full implement this
feature.

If some implementations must continue to support this feature, then a
fallback is to reword IPP 1.0 to state that senders (of client requests and
server reponses) SHOULD always include the language with a text or name
value (i.e. send textWithLanguage rather than textWithoutLanguage, and
nameWithLanguage rather than nameWithoutLanguage), receivers (of requests on
servers and responses on clients) MUST be able to convert
textWithoutLanguage and nameWithoutLanguage into their equivalent
textWithLanguage and nameWithLangage using the override rules.

The rule for receivers is unchanged from the June 30 document, though the
wording
may be different. This change does not invalidate any implementations
that follow the June 30 specs. It does change the intent, and becomes the
first step in deprecating this feature