IPP> Re: SLP Printer Service Template

Ira Mcdonald x10962 imcdonal at eso.mc.xerox.com
Fri Oct 30 15:19:20 EST 1998

Hi,

I'm a member of the IPP (Internet Printing Protocol) Working Group.
I have recently begun updating the SLPv2 abstract service 'printer:'
template for alignment with the June 1998 drafts of IPP/1.0.

I forwarded this work to the IPP WG this week and we first discussed
it in some detail at out Wednesday telecon (1-3 EST, regularly)
this week.

The IPP/1.0 Model and Semantics spec defines an abstract protocol.
This is the reference in the 'printer:' template to 'abstract-protocol'.

The IPP/1.0 Encoding and Transport spec defines one concrete binding
for the IPP/1.0 abstract protocol (over HTTP/1.1, with 'http:'
concrete URLs).  But other work-in-progress within the PWG
(Printer Working Group industry consortium) is addressing possible
bindings of IPP/1.0 abstract protocol over other transports,
so it is appropriate for a printer to register and declare
(at some future date) 'abstract-protocol=ipp' and
'concrete-protocols=http, tcp' (for example).

Also, the IPP Printer object defines the attributes
'uri-supported' (the full list of all URI supported
by this printer system) and 'uri-security-supported'
(the list of security methods supported by this
printer system).  Through an oversight the
'uri-supported' was omitted from the March 1998
draft of the 'printer:' template - it has now been
added back.

IPP printers don't have to register ALL of their supported
URI separately - they just need to declare them
in 'uri-supported'.

I asked members of the IPP WG to cross-post comments
and discussion of the printer template to the Service
Location Protocol WG list.  The intent was to finish
a coarse alignment with the latest IPP specs (the
primary source of attributes for the printer template)
and THEN to forward the revised template to the SLP WG.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  906-494-2434