Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Nov 6 14:22:52 EST 1998

Stuart,

First of all, let me emphasize the word "Tentative" in the subject of the
decision from the telecon.  This decision is subject to:

1. Feed back from people like you who were not on the telecon.
2. Feed back from actually running the scripts that test what
implementations are actually doing.
We have sent new scripts to the Bake-Off participants on Wednesday and I
hope we will have results this week to help make the final decision next
week in Tucson, 11/10-12.  Unfortunately, I have only heard from one of the
16 Bake-Off participants so far.

Let me try to explain why we didn't propose Carl's 5 simple changes to the
June draft.  Bob, Carl, and I worked out the actual proposals together for
nlo 2 of 4, nlo 3 of 4, and nlo 4 of 4.  We modified Carl's proposal so as
not to change anything that wasn't broken.  The result was 3 changes instead
of 5.

Here are the 5 changes that Carl proposed:

>1.  Eliminate "attributes-natural-language" operation attribute.
>2.  Eliminate "attributes-natural-language" job object attribute.
>3.  Eliminate "textWithoutLanguage" attribute syntax.
>4.  Eliminate "nameWithoutLanguage" attribute syntax.
>5.  To allow client to specify desired natural language for
>Printer-generated text from multi-lingual Printers, add a new,
>OPTIONAL,
>"natural-language-requested" attribute to override Printer's
>"natural-language-configured".

Instead of Carl's 5 changes, nlo 3 of 4 and nlo 4 of 4 propose the following
3 changes:

nlo 3 of 4:
- Remove returning the job's "attribute-natural-language" in a Get-Jobs
response unless the requester asks for the job's
"attribute-natural-language" Job Description attribute.

nlo 4 of 4:
- Eliminate "textWithoutLanguage" attribute syntax
- Eliminate "nameWithoutLanguage" attribute syntax

Note:   We can accomplish nlo 3 of 4 by deleting one paragraph in Get-Jobs
Response. Also this change can be done whether we agree to nlo 4 of 4 or
not.

Here is an attempt to explain why Bob, Carl and I came up with the 3 changes
proposed nlo 3 of 4 and nlo 4 of 4 instead of Carl's 5 original proposed
changes:

nlo 3 of 4 is similar to Carl's #2, but keeps "attributes-natural-language"
as a Job Description attribute, that we believe that all implementations are
currently copying from the operation attribute to the job (the new nlo test
scripts test this too).  Keeping it is useful for an operator who has to
communicate with the user in a multi-lingual situation. Secondly, keeping
"attributes-natural-language" as a Job Description attribute is useful to
the Print system that has to print out a job start sheet in different
languages and would like to make it the language of the submitter of that
job.  Finally, in our notification proposals, the Print system needs to know
what language to e-mail completion message in, so storing the submitter's
natural-language in the job seem very useful.
Instead nlo 3 of 4 simply removes returning the job's
"attribute-natural-language" in a Get-Jobs response unless the requester
asks for the job's "attribute-natural-language".

nlo 4 of 4 says Carl's #3 and #4.  But instead of doing Carl's #1 and #5,
nlo 4 of 4 just keeps "attributes-natural-language" as an operation
attribute in requests, instead of deleting it from requests and introducing
a new (but more clearly named) attribute in requests, since everyone has
implemented it that way.  No reason to rename an attribute that everyone is
already doing.

Since we mailed out nlo 4 of 4 we have had the email discussion that we
could make it a SHOULD NOT for returning "attributes-natural-language" as an
operation attribute in responses (Carl's proposal was to eliminate it as an
operation attribute in responses, since Carl's #1 proposed to eliminate it
altogether, but bring it back renames as an operation attribute in requests
only - Carl's # 5).

Sorry that this is so complicated.  I think we all agree that we made a
mistake back in May when we didn't accept Carl's and Keith Moore's
suggestion to always use textWithLanguage and nameWithLanguage.  We
mistakenly thought that it would help some implementations to have both.
Also, I'm sure some of us thought that it would decrease the number of bytes
on the wire too (though Carl has shown that it doesn't really and besides
such a savings, if there were any not important).

But now we have real implementations and products and so we don't want to
make changes to the standard that would invalidate them, unless they are
willing to change (or we work out some interoperability strategy that works
with them).

Tom