papowell at astart.com papowell at astart.com
Mon Nov 9 16:14:46 EST 1998

> From ipp-owner at pwg.org Mon Nov  9 10:47:59 1998
> Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 11:45:14 -0700
> From: "Hugo Parra" <HPARRA at novell.com>
> To: <ipp at pwg.org>
> Subject: Re: RE: IPP> MOD> Issue 1.19 [REVISITED - charset not

> Carl wrote:
>
> >As an implementor, I'd really prefer to be allowed to bail as
> >soon as a syntax error is detected.  It can be dangerous to proceed.
> >For example, the parser might be expecting the next field to be an
> >attribute length, but if it's actually a string or something, due
> >to a syntax error, the parser might end up trying to allocate a
> >string buffer of a gazillion bytes, crashing the application.  Of
> >course, you can build in protection against this kind of thing,
> >and scan for patterns to try to resynch to the data stream, etc.
> >But that all adds complexity.

> Though I agree that it is generally dangerous to proceed parsing
> a message that has already been determined to be invalid, the risk
> of parsing up to the "attribute charset" attribute is next to
> none-existent given that it is always found at the exact same
> location in the IPP message.  If the "attribute-charset" attribute
> is itself corrupted, the parser must  know how to handle it whether
> a problem has already been detected with the message or not.

<WARNING  OPTION="sarcasm and irony">

I like that phrase,  'next to none-existent' (sic).

Ummm... Do you have a formal analysis to back this up,  or have you
simply used some form of wishful thinking?  Perhaps divination
in a crystal ball?  (Personally, I use a coffee cup, but I digress...)

Sigh...

I suppose that this is the same type of wishful thinking that
assumed that nobody would ever send a 'bad downloadable font'
because all of the fonts would be supplied by a manufacturer
in binary form...

  (Ever see what happens when you FTP a font and it gets transferred
  in ASCII mode?)

Or that believed that nobody would ever put UNICODE characters
in a text string
   (which resulted in a '0' character being put
    into memory,  which resulted in corrupted memory images...)

The risk of these happening is 'small' as well.

Sorry,  I could not resist this...

</WARNING>