Carl Kugler kugler at us.ibm.com
Wed Nov 11 12:39:23 EST 1998

> RE: RE: IPP> MOD> Issue 1.19 [REVISITED - charset
>
> Hastings, Tom N (hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com)
> Wed, 11 Nov 1998 06:22:27 -0800
>
> How about saying that for the 'client-error-bad-request (bad syntax), that
> the
> IPP object doesn't return the "status-message" attribute, if supported,
> since
> this is a developer error. Then for bad syntax it doesn't matter what
> charset
> is returned in the bad syntax error response, since there aren't any 'text'
> or 'name'
> attributes in the error response. So may as well return the
> "charset-configured"
> on a bad syntax error response.

I think that's a reasonable resolution.

Another approach would be to allow "status-message" in 0x0400 responses
but warn that "client beware!", the attribute charset of this type of
response might not match that of the request.  Clients could, of course,
ignore status messages in unknown charsets.  I prefer this resolution
because it lets me stick helpful debug messages in responses, for
development purposes.

I think it's important to get this issue straightened out, because if
you look at the old MOD section 16 (BTW, where is it now?  I don't see
it in the IIG) there are many cases that result in the
client-error-bad-request (0x0400) response.

   -Carl

http://www.pwg.org/hypermail/ipp/1637.html