Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jan 6 20:37:22 EST 1998

At 07:33 01/05/1998 PST, Caruso, Angelo wrote:
>Tom,
>
>I disagree that the impressions counters are intended only for
>monitoring. For monitoring, you only need the jobImpressionsCompleted
>and jobImpressionsRequested counters. The fullColorImpressionsCompleted
>and highlightColorImpressionsCompleted attributes were proposed
>specifically for accounting with color capable devices.

I was only talking about jobImpressionsCompleted, not
fullColorImpressionsCompleted and highlightColorImpressionsCompleted.
I agree with you that the latter two are useful for accounting as well
as monitoring.

>Our assumption was that impressions would be more useful for accounting
>since they are more accurate than sheets. Though I am not an accounting
>expert, I think providing the impression counters gives an accounting
>application developer added flexibility (e.g. so that billing for blank
>sides could be made optional depending on the requirements of the
>customer).

That was always our thinking in doing the Job Monitoring MIB as well.
That is why we made the impressions MANDATORY objects, and sheets
as OPTIONAL attributes.  It was only at the last minute that we discussed
the issue of actually implementing impression counters in devices, that
we came up with the idea that "impressions" are really counting sides
that pass past the marker, whether marks are made or not (again, I'm not
talking about color or high light multi-passes).