Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jan 7 15:35:47 EST 1998

At 14:13 01/06/1998 PST, Swen Johnson wrote:
>3.3.1.2 Send-Document Response says, "... since a client might not know
>that the previous document sent with a Send-Document operation was the last
>document... it is legal to send a Send-Document request with no document
>data where the "last-document" flag is set to 'true'".)
>
>3.3.2 Send-URI Operation says, "This OPTIONAL operation is identical to the
>Send-Document Operation ... except that a client MUST supply a URI
>reference ... rather than the document data itself..."
>
>Is this intended to imply that the client must supply a "document-uri" even
>when "last-document" is 'true' ?  Or is the "document-uri" to be treated
>analogously to the document data ?

Thanks for pointing out this subtelity in the language.
Happily, I think that the current language is just what we want.  If a client
needs to tell the IPP Printer that the previous Send-Document or Send-URI
operation was the last, the client MUST send a Send-Document with no
data.  The client cannot send a Send-URI with no data.  It is better
to have only one way for the client to end such a sequence.  Also,
the Send-URI operation NEED not be supported when supporting Send-Document.

So the answer to your first question is yes and the second question is no.

Thanks,
Tom