IPP> URI scheme and port numbers for TLS

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed Jan 7 13:12:53 EST 1998

When trying to apply TLS to our IPP scenarios, we have run into a few
questions relating to TLS and URI schemes and port numbers. We had had this
discussion going on for many months already on the IPP DL, and I am now
trying to see if I can get some additional input from the TLS DL.

It seems that the overall TLS draft specification (version 5) is silent on
TLS's use of schemes and port numbers apart from discussing in Annex E that
TLS might share the "https" scheme and port 443 with SSL3, when both are
supported.

Is it assumed that each application that uses TLS uses its own original
scheme e.g. "http" or should it allocate a new scheme if combined with TLS
(Annex E seems to suggest that you use "https" as for SSL3)?

The same question goes for the use of port numbers. E.g. should you still
use port 80 for the combination of HTTP and TLS (Annex E seems to suggest
that you use port 443 as for SSL3)?

Do you see any reasons to allocate new schemes and/or port numbers for IPP
(differently from HTTP) when using HTTP as transport? If you think new
schemes and ports are needed, do we need one for use of IPP without TLS,
and another set for use with TLS?

BTW, how is the draft on a TLS profile for HTTP coming along? Anybody
started work on that yet? It seems that these questions need to be
addressed in that draft.

We need some authoritative answers on this in order to finalize our IPP
specifications.

Hope that somebody can help clarify what the rules of the game is here.

Carl-Uno
Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com