Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Jan 9 17:20:55 EST 1998

I agree that we should take the time to consider XML, and I also agree
with the other commenters that we need to do this expediously.

One (of many) concerns that need to be discussed about using XML
is the increased size of actual printing devices that support IPP.
HTTP implementations are down to 20-30 K of code so using HTTP was not
seen as an undue burden.  What is the increased size to support an XML
interpreter?

One of the advantages of our binary IPP encoding is that it was light
weight enough that volume desktop printers could implement it (and
implementations are under way by a number of vendors).  Therefore, the
same IPP protocol (with the binary encoding) is a job submission protocol
that can be used between clients and servers, between clients and
spooling devices, and between servers and non-spooling devices.  This is a
great improvement over DPA where DPA has only been implemented
by clients and servers; no non-spooling devices are supporting DPA.
It also greatly simplifies server implementations when the protocol they
receive is the same as they send, so that a server can just forward
jobs to devices after spooling, rather than having to perform complex
job submission protocol mappings.

It would be a shame if IPP became too expensive to implement in non-spooling
devices.

Tom