IPP> PRO - Thoughts around use of XML

Carl-Uno Manros cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jan 13 12:11:37 EST 1998

We already have an intensive internal discussion on the use of XML
inside Xerox. I have copied out a few comments from one of our
researchers at PARC, Dennis Hamilton.

These might be food for thought for MS and others, who want to discuss
the subject of using XML in IPP.

Regards,

Carl-Uno

---

I would be surprised to see XML used to describe interfaces, though I
suppose it could be.  Basically, what I have seen of it in my limited
encounters is that it is more like job or document metadata and references
to things assume availability of distribution mechanisms that are not
themselves described.  (URL's and URI's are very popular in this context.)

I agree that it doesn't appear to be efficient at communicating data
structures among applications that can rely on a stronger agreement that
has less redundancy in the transmitted data encodings because there is
strong application agreement.

In a way, that is exactly the sense in which XML is lighter-weight, plus it
needs to be used at a not-too-fine-grained level.  So delivering job
parameters and providing descriptive status responses is perfect.  It also
fits into the idea of having a small delta between that and HTML or
something a script could handle.

One thing I am not sure about is what happens when scripts start being
included as the values of XML attributes.  That and the ability to refer to
applets and components at the scripting / automation level may be something
that is perhaps considered easier to migrate to.  I don't have a thought
about that, I just wonder if it is something that Microsoft is noticing as
a possibility.  Also, I wouldn't be surprised if script engines start
supporting access to these babies.

Your characterization of the difference between XML and a data stream
designed for marshalling and efficient transmission fits my impression
also.

-------

Carl-Uno Manros
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com