IPP> xml etc.

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Tue Jan 20 15:19:28 EST 1998

> XML parser: There should be no problem in making a parser in < 50k. We have
> both java and c code that we might be able to share with people. A subset is
> possible - it looks like the final XML spec will allow for that.

I cannot find such language in the December 8 1997 version. Can you
tell us more about the rules for subsets.

What subset are you proposing?  It seems to me that most of XML could
be eliminated for IPP, e.g. parameter entities and (normal) entities
except for &lt and &amp.  Even DTD's are unnecessary if a printer hard
codes the single DTD that it supports. Once all of this is tossed out,
there isn't much left to parse.

> POST vs other Methods: The other MS folks were surprised about the
> objection. They said that they thought all current servers were capable of
> extra methods (certainly NS and Apache). They had not heard the objection
> from Novell in the DAV group so they had assumed that the NW web server was
> equally capable.

Unfortunately, the Sun Web server doesn't support extension of methods.