IPP> Notifications

Harry Lewis harryl at us.ibm.com
Wed Feb 4 16:09:57 EST 1998

Philip brings up an important issue which will continue to cloud our
discussion of Notifications unless we understand it.

     >I don't see how a UDP datagram originating from outside the firew=
all
     >is going to be let inside (without assigning a special port, and
     >security protocol).

     >Of course, if we are dealing only with the Intranet, there are ma=
ny easy
     >solutions.

     >Philip Thambidurai

When we discuss notifications, I think some of us have different ideas
based on whether we are thinking primarily Intranet or Internet When th=
inking
Internet, an e-mail message for job complete is appropriate and accepta=
ble.
Here,
I agree with the recommendations to investigate similar approaches in I=
-Fax.

If you consider IPP as possibly the most prevalent way to submit print
jobs on ANY network in the future, then I think a much more granular an=
streamline method should be considered.

In PWG IPP, we need to address BOTH!

Harry Lewis - IBM Printing Systems
=