Randy Turner jrturner at pacifier.com
Mon Jan 4 23:02:14 EST 1999

What difference does it make whether or not two SLP entries point to the same
output device? This seems like an administrator issue. If the administrator
wants two entries to point to the same output device, even across directory
contexts (or within directory-local context) then we can support him. On the
other hand, if the administrator wants to uniquely identify all output devices
that are advertised, then he can do that too.

I'm trying to identify why we care if two different entries point to the same
output device? All we have to do is give the administrator the "ability" to
create uniqueness if they wish. I don't think we need to specify what is
unique
and what isn't. With respect to a directory entry, the "printer-name" is human
understandable, as opposed to the URI string which may or may not be
understandable to a human, but is definitely understandable by client
software.

Randy

At 06:44 PM 1/4/99 -0800, Robert Herriot wrote:

> I agree that there is no guarantee that "printer-name" values are unique
> even within a domain, but they should be unique as a practical matter so
> that a user can uniquely identify a printer by its "printer-name" instead
of
> the URL, at least in a local context.
>
> There remains the issue of how does anyone determine if two separate SLP
> entries (with different URLs) represent the same output device. I am
> suggesting using a convention that a "printer-name" qualified by a domain
> name and SLP scope uniquely identifies a printer.
>

> Bob Herriot
>
> At 05:02 PM 1/4/99 , Manros, Carl-Uno B wrote:
> >Bob,
> >
> >I welcome this attempt to get a simpler SLP solution and in practice I
think
> >we will find few printers that have more than one URI.
> >However, your assumption in a) that you could use 'printer-name' to find
out
> >whether a printer has several URIs does not
> >seem correct. There is no guarantee that "printer-name' values are unique,
> >even within the same domain (at least not according to IPP).
> >
> >Carl-Uno

Randy Turner
Sharp Laboratories of America
rturner at sharplabs.com