IPP> SLP 'printer:' template comments

Hugo Parra HPARRA at novell.com
Thu Jan 7 19:24:07 EST 1999

I'd like to propose the following changes to the SLP 'printer:' template spec recently distributed by Ira.

1. The template-url-syntax needs to include definitions for NDPS and TCP printers.  The NDPS flavor would look as follows,
    ndpsurl = "ndps://" hostport [ nds-name / pa-name ]
    nds-name = "/nds/" fqn
    fqn = /* fully qualified NDS printer name */
    pa-name = "/pa/" printer-name
    printer-name = /* NDPS printer agent name */
2. uri-security-supported, add 'nds-sec' to legal values.
3. printer-location, make it optional.  Very few administrators set this up today and it's optional in IPP.
4. printer-current-operator, make it multi-valued.  PServer and NDPS support multiple operators.
5. printer-service-person, make it multi-valued.
6. natural-language-configured, add 'client-dependent' to legal values.  NDPS returns error and status info in the form of OIDs.  Clients translate those OIDs to localized strings.
7. natural-language-supported, add 'client-dependent' to legal values.
8. document-format-supported, make it optional.  It's not always available to print servers front-ending legacy printers.
9. color-supported, add 'unknown' as legal value.
10. sides-supported, consider making optional.
11. media-supported, make optional.
12. media-local-supported, make optional.
13, print-quality-supported, consider removing.  Print quality is so printer-specific that I question the benefit of having it as an SLP search criteria.
14. copies-supported, rename to max-copies-supported.  For clarification.
15. job-k-octets-supported, rename to max-job-l-=octets-supported.
16. printer-mechanism-types, consider adding.

This is my first shot a this.  If there are strong reasons for doing things differently, let's hear them.

-Hugo