Ira McDonald imcdonal at sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Wed Jan 13 15:31:58 EST 1999

Hi Erik and James,

SLPv1 (RFC 2165) is NOT compliant with RFC 2277 (IETF Policy on Charsets
and Languages), because it does NOT support full RFC 1766 language tags.
It has two character ISO 639 language codes, but NOT ISO 3166 territory
codes, required for both RFC 1766 language tags and the closely related
ISO 9945-1 (POSIX.1) locale tags.

On the other hand, IPP/1.0 is RFC 2277 compliant (all names and all
text are always in explicit language contexts, with RFC 1766 tags).

The IPP WG's basic purpose in revising the SLP 'printer:' abstract
service template is that, when we finish editing it, we then decompose
it into concrete protocol templates for SLPv1 interworking usage.
Therefore, the SLP 'printer:' attribute with a full RFC 1766 language
tag, 'natural-language-configured', remains necessary and mandatory.

Separately, the attribute 'natural-language-supported' (mandatory for
all IPP Printer objects) is necessary in the 'printer:' template, so
that the obtained 'service:' URL is actually usable.  If the value of
'natural-language-configured' is a language NOT supported by a given
client, then that client must FIRST request from the IPP Printer object
the 'natural-language-supported' attribute BEFORE any useful work,
which is contrary to the intended usage of SLPv1/SLPv2.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (outside consultant at Xerox)
  High North Inc
  716-461-5667