Ira McDonald imcdonal at sdsp.mc.xerox.com
Fri Jan 15 09:51:47 EST 1999

Hi Mikael,                                      Friday (15 January 1999)

Here are some answers to all of your notes (included below).

[1] Why am I interested in SLPv1 templates?

a)  Because the Open Group's NCMG (Network Computer Mgmt Group) Print
    Architecture WG plans to specify SLPv1 as the common backplane of
    SLP discovery for LPR and IPP speaking printers (perhaps they should
    specify SLPv2, but SLPv2 hadn't even gone to IESG 'last call' when
    they originally decided on this direction).
b)  Because Netware 5 DOES use SLPv1.  Yes, to the best of my knowledge
    Novell IS interested in having SLPv1 templates for print services
    (as you will have seen, I've been working with Hugo Parra, principal
    Novell member of the IETF IPP WG).

[2] Why is the (mandatory in IPP) attribute 'printer-uri-supported'
    still in the SLP 'printer:' template draft I posted?

a)  Because there is no unambigous way to determine that two separate
    SLP 'printer:' registrations refer to the SAME network printer
    (we have concensus in the IPP WG, I think, that 'printer-name' is
    NOT a safe attribute to check).
b)  Because typical network printers support six or more print protocols
    at once and finding ALL the paths to a printer at once in a single
    SLP 'printer:' registration has great utility for client software
    (and human end-users).
c)  Because network printers are very different from file servers or
    most other service providers.  Network printers are inherently
    multilingual.  There are shipping printers that support ten or more
    protocols at once (across a number of protocol suites).
d)  Because actual practice and experience in a variety of directory
    protocols has shown that 'aliases' are more trouble than they're
    worth - they're a maintenance headache for a service registering
    itself.

[3] Should we keep the various concrete protocols in the 'printer:'
    abstract template (LPR, IPP, NDPS, Raw TCP, etc)?

a)  Yes, I agree that we should keep concrete protocols in the single
    published SLPv2 'printer:' template.
b)  I see no possible advantage to separating them for SLPv2 usage.

[4] What about the syntax of a Raw TCP printer URL?

a)  Mikael, I just re-read your December 1998 draft.  While the path
    part may make no sense (the ABNF term 'url-path' is probably badly
    named in the 'printer:' template), the actual full URL syntax
    (with 'raw-tcp://host [":" port]) MUST be listed in the template.
b)  Also, SLP concrete URL are required to use IANA registered URL
    schemes.  Have you or someone registered 'raw-tcp:'?  The name is
    utterly opaque in the scheme space.  How does someone guess that
    'raw-tcp:' in a directory means *print* service?

[5] Should we add the IEEE 1284 'device-id' attribute?

a)  Yes, I agree.
b)  But we should name it 'ieee-1284-device-id' or something equally
    unambiguous.  There are lots of other possible meanings to plain
    'device-id' for printers.

[6] What about other LPR 'flavor' discriminating attributes?

a)  Mikael, if you can find them and specify them, I'll gladly add them
    to the 'printer:' template.
b)  Bob Herriot has published the informational IPP<-->LPR gateway spec
    from the IPP WG.  The Open Group NCMG Print Architecture Phase 1
    specifies certain interoperability rules for LPR usage.  Both specs
    are seriously limited by the incoherence in LPR implementations
    from various vendors.

I have one more question of my own.  What are the attributes that need
to be added to discriminate (for the print client) what 'flavor' of
'raw-tcp:' is being used?  What are the reference documents?  To add
a protocol to this (or any other) SLP template, we need definitive