IPP> ADM - IPP/1.1

Manros, Carl-Uno B cmanros at cp10.es.xerox.com
Tue Jan 26 17:46:52 EST 1999

All,

we reached agreement in last week's IPP meeting to go ahead with the drafts
for a version IPP/1.1, although we have still not got word back from the
IESG on IPP/1.0.

Here is the plan and instructions to the editors:

1) Model & Semantics
   Give the document a new IETF I-D name to not replace corresponding
IPP/1.0 document.
   Update version to IPP/1.1.
   Add in the extra operations that have been prepared by the PWG as
extensions to IPP/1.0.
   - Pause-Printer
   - Resume-Printer
   - Purge-Jobs
   - Hold-Job
   - Release-Job
   - Restart-Job
   Add in a few new attributes/attribute values, which likewise have been
prepared by the PWG as extensions to IPP/1.0.
   - pages-per-minute
   - pages-per-minute-color
   - additional values for the finishing attribute
   Update any examples that do not use the IPP URL scheme for printer-uri
and job-uri.
   Require support also for IPP/1.0, with reference to corresponding IPP/1.0
document.

2) Encoding & Transport
   Give the document a new IETF I-D name to not replace corresponding
IPP/1.0 document.
   Update version to IPP/1.1.
   Add in the definition of the IPP URL scheme (we will drop the earlier
separate draft).
   Replace SHOULD for SSL3 with TLS (add back previous text on TLS), make
SSL3 an OPTION.
   Make any other changes to match the Model & Semantics changes.
   Require support also for IPP/1.0, with reference to corresponding IPP/1.0
document.

The objective with the new drafts is to make sure that they match all IESG
requirements,
so that IPP can eventually get on to the standards track, while at the same
time require
support also for existing IPP/1.0 implementations.

There is no plan to update the other informational documents already sent to
the IESG
for IPP/1.0, and we are still expecting the IESG to get the IPP/1.0 versions
of the
Model & Semantics and Encoding & Transport documents published, as
previously requested.

The editors are now at work to get the new IPP/1.1 documents out ASAP, but
at the latest
before the next IETF meeting document cut-off date (around mid-February).

Carl-Uno

Carl-Uno Manros
Principal Engineer - Xerox Architecture Center - Xerox Corporation
Phone +1-310-333 8273, Fax +1-310-333 5514
Email: manros at cp10.es.xerox.com