Carl-Uno Manros carl at manros.com
Wed Feb 3 10:12:01 EST 1999

Ira,

Could you give a little more concrete examples of cases where xxxs schemes
have been shot down?
John's impression is that the main reason for not accepting xxxs, has been
the requirement to use an extra port, but the ipps scheme would default to
port 631 like the ipp scheme, using the Upgrade header in the HTTP start-up
phase.

FYI, there are still security people in the IETF that seem to favor the xxxs
approach. The problem, as I see it, is that there are no other clear
alternatives, which the Area Directors DO like. We have discussed using
SASL, but unfortunately people always seem find problems with that too...

It is fine that we can detect security over SLP and directory solutions, but
wouldn't it also be nice to be able to have an actually working IPP or IPPS
URL on your business card, which John's proposal would offer?

Carl-Uno