Hastings, Tom N hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Mon Feb 15 18:19:36 EST 1999

I should have mentioned that the only text that had any editorial work done
on it from the Set 1 document was Section 4.3.7.1 (under 4.3.7 "job-state")
which had been named  The "job history" concept
Bob Herriot and I worked on Section 4.3.7.1 to further clarify without
changing the semantics.  The Set 1 text used the term "retained" and "Job
History".  We further clarified the Job States as follows in the Model and
Semantics document that I posted earlier today:  We just wanted to make sure
this editorial work was ok with everyone.
4.3.7.1 Partitioning of Job States
This section partitions the 7 job states into phases:  Job Not Completed,
Job Retention, Job History, and Job Removal.  This section also explains the
'job-restartable' value of the "job-state-reasons" Job Description attribute
for use with the Restart-Job operation.

Job Not Completed:  When a job is in the 'pending', 'pending-held',
'processing', or 'processing-stopped' states, the job is not completed.

Job Retention:  When a job enters one of the three terminal job states:
'completed', 'canceled', or 'aborted', the IPP Printer object MAY "retain"
the job in a restartable condition for an implementation-defined time
period.  This time period MAY be zero seconds and MAY depend on the terminal
job state.  This phase is called Job Retention.  While in the Job Retention
phase, the job's document data is retained and a client may restart the job
using the Restart-Job operation.  If the IPP object supports the
"job-state-reasons" attribute and the Restart-Job operation, then it SHOULD
indicate that the job is restartable by adding the 'job-restartable' value
to the job's "job-state-reasons" attribute (see Section 4.3.8) during the
Job Retention phase.

Job History:  After the Job Retention phase expires for a job, the Printer
object deletes the document data for the job and the job becomes part of the
Job History.  The Printer object MAY also delete any number of the job
attributes.  Since the job is no longer restartable, the Printer object MUST
remove the 'job-restartable' value from the job's "job-state-reasons"
attribute, if present.

Job Removal:  After the job has remained in the Job History for an
implementation-defined time, such as when the number of jobs exceeds a fixed
number or after a fixed time period (which MAY be zero seconds), the IPP
Printer removes the job from the system.

Using the Get-Jobs operation and supplying the 'not-completed' value for the
"which-jobs" operation attribute, a client is requesting jobs in the Job Not
Completed phase.  Using the Get-Jobs operation and supplying the 'completed'
value for the "which-jobs" operation attribute, a client is requesting jobs
in the Job Retention and Job History phases.  Using the Get-Job-Attributes
operation, a client is requesting a job in any phase except Job Removal.
After Job Removal, the Get-Job-Attributes and Get-Jobs operations no longer
are capable of returning any information about a job.

Tom Hastings
(310) 333-6413